Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Keeping FACS in the forefront

True Confession: This is the first time I have ever blogged! But I am doing it
because I truly feel that one way for FACS professionals to succeed is to stay ahead of the trends in technology. Schools are so hungry for technology that if you can teach students new skills in this area while teaching your subject matter, students will want to take your classes and other teachers will see you as a curriculum leader. My second suggestion for success is to promote what you do in as many ways as you can. I share my successes in the classroom with the school board every month and through the media outlets (newspaper, etc.) in our area. Sometimes I have students write the stories and take the photos. If you want to see some of the news releases we have done, go to the website of The Daily Journal in International Falls and search the archives for Indus School. Currently, our Teen & Family Issues class is producing documentaries to enter into a C-SPAN contest. Finally, we should regularly promote student achievements, such as students who ranked in the top 25th percentile of the National Financial Literacy Challenge. This shows we are making an impact!

Lois Lewis
FACS teacher
Indus School
Birchdale, MN

No comments: