Thursday, January 15, 2009

Feeling Lucky

At St. Francis High School, we have an enrollment of about 1750 and three full time FACS teachers. We get a lot of support from the administration for our classes. They appreciate how flexible we can be with our curriculum and in accomodating students. I'm sure you have all been there. We have 13 different class offerings. I don't know exactly what we are doing right, but something is working. There are always things that can go better. For instance, all of our classes are electives. It would be good for students and us if students were required to take one FACS class during their high school career. I keep waiting for the right time to launch that campaign. Now doesn't seem to be the right time though. Budgets are VERY tight and we are just trying to stay under the radar as much as possible. We are constantly working to update and improve our curriculum. We listen to students and try to adjust as much as possible. I get curriculum help from teachers outside our district and I am willing to share whatever might be useful. I wish I knew why so many administrators feel FACS is expendible. It breaks my heart to see FACS shrinking. Even at the college level, there are not enough students graduating with licenses to teach FACS. Are we not getting enough of the "high level" students to carry on the program?

Beth Widell
St. Francis High School
St. Francis, MN

2 comments:

Minnesota Asso of Family and Consumer Sciences said...

I was feeling lucky when I saw your response. Thank you for doing so. I hope that people are able to get on the site. Things have seemed to die down after my information e-mail.

Jane

Minnesota Asso of Family and Consumer Sciences said...

I was feeling lucky when I saw your response. Thank you for doing so. I hope that people are able to get on the site. Things have seemed to die down after my information e-mail.

Jane